Reshad Jones appears like he’ll be staying with the Dolphins for at least one more season.
Miami reportedly had been looking to move the 31-year-old safety. But, he told the Miami Herald the team promised him he wouldn’t be playing for a new team anytime soon.
“They said I won’t be traded this year,” Jones told the Herald.
Miami originally selected Jones out of Georgia in the fifth round of the 2010 draft and he has spent his entire nine-year career with the team. He has made two Pro Bowls and picked off 21 passes during his time with the Dolphins.
Jones, who has been dealing with a foot injury and underwent offseason shoulder surgery, could reportedly have his playing time cut in 2019.
“Whatever my role is I am willing to take (that) on and be the best I can,” Jones said recently. “I can play free safety, I can play strong safety. New coaching, new staff, new system, that’s part of it. I still have Pro Bowl-caliber in me, a lot of good football in me that I can play. I’m just trying to be the best player I can be. I’m focusing on doing everything I can to help this team.”
Jones, 31, recorded 72 total tackles, nine pass breakups and three interceptions in 14 games for Miami last season.
NINE season in with the Dolphins, Reshad Jones still get the job done
— B/R Gridiron (@brgridiron) December 30, 2018
The Dolphins have one preseason game remaining before they host the Ravens in Week 1 action Sept. 8.