The Chargers will not get Melvin Gordon back anytime soon.
According to a report from the NFL Network, the running back will continue to sit out into the regular season in hopes of getting a new deal.
Talks between Gordon and the team have not gone as expected, the report noted, and he will continue training in Florida for now.
At this point, #Chargers RB Melvin Gordon’s holdout is expected to continue into the season, sources say. Contract talks have not progressed as he hoped, and he’ll continue to train in Florida for the foreseeable future.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 21, 2019
Gordon said earlier this week he’s “just waiting on the call” after making it clear he won’t play without a new contract. He has also requested a trade if the two sides can’t reach a deal.
The 26-year-old rusher is entering the fifth week of his holdout.
The Chargers originally selected Gordon with the No. 15 pick in the 2015 draft out of Wisconsin.
“Look, we drafted Melvin in the first round for a reason,” Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told reporters at the start of training camp, via the Southern California News Group. “Traded up to take him. Obviously, we value him and the position to do that and we would like to sign him to an extension.
“Do I condone holding out? No, I don’t condone (it). But I think he’s been pretty professional with his comments from what I’ve seen.”
Gordon has rushed for 3,628 yards and scored 38 total touchdowns during his four-year career.
Los Angeles has two preseason games remaining before they host the Colts in Week 1 action Sept. 8.